Sunday 18 December 2016

Apologies and some photos

My visits to blog land are very few and far between at the moment. So sorry if I haven't managed to visit your blogs. I still have two days at school to go, and have ticked off 4 panto performances, a Christingle, a nativity, a Christmas party, and an awards assembly.  There is chicken pox, winter vomiting virus and a nasty chesty cold going round so I'm thinking of suggesting a whole class nap lasting both days!
I did a bit of Christmas shopping a couple of weekends ago and popped to Rufford Park where there are a few shops selling nice food, warm hats, gifts and books. When I got there I discovered the shop didn't open until 10.30 so I had nearly an hour to kill. I popped back to the car and grabbed my camera (I tend to take it everywhere with me) and set off towards the lake.
 A group of Mallards came running to greet me but quickly lost interest when I had no food for them.
The reflections in the lake of the winter foliage were beautiful...
and the black-headed gulls seemed to be enjoying a the peace and quiet as much as I was.
As I stood watching them I saw a splash in the water, and then another a few minutes later. I trained my camera on it and zoomed in. Please forgive the awful quality of the photo (I will go back soon with a tripod).... It was a kingfisher!
After a few minutes I was joined by a robin, who may well have fed from my hand if I had taken some food - he was so tame that his feathers brushed my elbow as he hopped by.

I realised the shop had been open for a good 20 minutes by this stage and reluctantly continued on my way. Further round the lake I spotted a Goosander (another poor photo I am afraid)
That hour of solitude in the company of nature left me feeling so much happier than Christmas shopping does! I hope your Christmas shopping is done and you are able to enjoy a few minutes peace doing something you love.
Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Helen said...

what joy, much better than the shopping! the robin and the kingfisher are outstanding; I've never seen one in the flesh. hope you avoid all those awful bugs, you don't want them!!

Dora said...

Beautiful pictures. Sally. Indeed, the reflections are super!
If I may, I download two pictures of them on my computer. The robin and the seagulls.

Mrs A. said...

Perfect pictures Sally. Happy to report all shopping now done. Anything forgotten stays forgotten! Have a lovely Christmas. Hugs Mrs A.

craftimamma said...

I haven't been to Rufford for quite a while Sally but you've made me want to go again. Beautiful photos and the robin (s) and various other small birds do eat from your hand there. I took Charlie (grandson) when he was staying over about a year ago. He was only 4 and I bought some bird food from the shop there. When we were about halfway round the lake we sat on one of the benches and a Robin came and perched next to us so I carefully put some food down & he came for it. Eventually I put some on Charlie's hand & the Robin hopped on to get it. Charlie was thrilled to bits!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Wonderful photos, I agree, out taking photos of nature beats Xmas shopping hands down.
Faith
x

cuilliesocks said...

What a delightful post Sally, beautiful photos, looks like a lovely place, thanks for sharing them, Kate x

Viv said...

Serenely beautiful pics Sally - thanks for sharing.x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Beautiful pictures Sally and to think the only thing that hassled you was the Robin.

Sue xx

Barb said...

Really beautiful photos Sally. How wonderful to get so close to the robin. Barbxx

Di said...

What a joy this post is Sally! Wonderful photos.

Hugs

Di xx

Pete said...

Love it! Peace, calm, time to think and breathe.

LesleyG said...

What a happy accident you got there too early, fabulous photos, and amazed you snapped a kingfisher, well done and thanks for sharing, hope you get more time to chill out xxx

Wies said...

Beautiful photos Sally. I specially like the ones with the robin. That was a great wat to spend that hour before the shop opened.